Sunday 29 April 2018

Reykjavik Part 2 - Meeting Bobby Fischer!

My last blog post was a big pictorial report on my Icelandic trip. Here's part two dedicated to our chess legend Bobby Fischer!

Fischer passed away in January 2008 at the age of 64 - the connection between the 64 squares of a chess board and him seems so deep rooted! I remember when I read about his demise, I was very sad at not having got a chance to have a glimpse of the God of Chess in person!




The eleventh world champion would have turned 75 on 9th March 2018. This is when we had a rest day at our tournament, Gamma Reykjavik Open: Bobby Fischer Memorial and I was out exploring Iceland!I had already finished seeing some beautiful places and the last part of my journey was 'in search of Bobby Fischer'!


We arrived at the Cemetery of Laugardalur Church, Selfoss. Before this trip, I had never visited any cemetery. It just gives a sad feeling to be in a graveyard or anywhere which reminds of someone who is no longer with us. But I was myself surprised how happy I felt the moment I stepped into this cemetery. Probably in the hearts of chess players, our hero Fischer still lives through his games and being there I just felt like finally I met Fischer, that too on his 75th birthday! It was an amazing feeling! Fischer was the reason I wanted to be in Iceland and everything now seemed like a dream come true!


Our final destination was a place you must visit if you love Bobby Fischer - the Bobby Fischer Center, which is very close to the cemetery at Laugardalur. It is a memorabilia of Fischer and I believe it also constitutes the Selfoss Chess Club. The entry fee is 1000 ISK. The place was very quiet and in fact the Center was closed when we arrived.  The shop below gave a phone number and my friend Oli made a call to the owner and soon the center was opened!



In front of the Fischer Center, there is a giant chess board, something which always excites me!


The entrance to the Center and as soon as you enter you see Fischer everywhere!!


Chess got unprecedented popularity in 1972 during the Fischer- Spassky match in Reykjavik. Here you can see the replica of a chess board used during the match!


I found many interesting cartoons related to the match which were eye catchers!


Basically you just feel yourself transported to 1972 amidst Fischer and Spassky! There are a lot of books and souvenirs on sale and my friend Oli gifted me the book that I am holding "The Enigma of the Lewis Chessmen- The Icelandic Theory"!


I think we have all seen this magnificent game between Byrne and Fischer where 13 year old Fischer beautifully sacrifices a queen and wins in style! The scoresheet of this game can also be taken as a souvenir!

A T-shirt souvenir with Fischer's famous words: "I do not believe in psychology, I believe in good moves!"


When I talk of Fischer, I must also admit that I deeply respect Spassky too! He has always supported Fischer even though he lost the match to him! I hope that someday I get to meet him!



9th March 2018 was really memorable for me.. the feeling of having met the legend no one in the chess world can ever forget!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice,somebody thought of Fischer .10 years passed by .Afitting tribute to his memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess Fischer will always be remembered by chess lovers like me!

      Delete

A Valentine's Day GM chess challenge from Lienz Open 2019

This is a Grandmaster chess challenge from Lienz Open 2019. Black to play.  The town of Lienz in Austria has a very special plac...